Christophe joined the Faculty of the Department of Computer Science at Brigham Young University in 2004. Prior to coming to BYU, he was Senior Manager at ELCA, a Swiss IT services company, where his responsibilities included the capitalization of Data Mining expertise, responses to tenders and the management of various projects for companies, local governments and NGOs. Prior to ELCA, Christophe was Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Bristol, where he founded and led the Machine Learning Research Group. Christophe received the B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Computer Science at Brigham Young University in 1991, 1993, and 1994, respectively.
- Research: Data Mining, Meta-learning, Incremental learning, Health Informatics
- Teaching: Tools for Machine Learning and Data Mining (CS 478), Discrete Structures (CS 236), Advanced Topics in Data Mining (CS 676)
- Click here for a list of my publications from Google Scholar. (Publications organized by topics).
- Click here for our most recent Springer book on metalearning. Interested lecturers are encouraged to use the free "Online Examination Copy" option on the bottom-right of the page.
- METAL: A Meta-Learning Assistant for Providing User Support in Machine Learning and Data Mining. ESPRIT Framework IV - LTR Reactive (Nr. 26.357), 1998-2001.
- Higher-Order Inductive Declarative Programming. EPSRC Grant GR/L21884, 1996-1999. With J.W. Lloyd.
- Case Base Maintenance Through Induction. BT Labs, 1999-2000.
- Proactive Selling with Machine Learning. Short-Term Research Fellowship, BT Labs, 1996.
- Design and Implementation of Two Profiles in Engineering Technology and Industrial Informatics at Three Polish Universities. Structural Joint European Project Grant S_JEP-11137-96, Tempus Phare, 1996-1999. With A. Chalmers.
- Giraud-Carrier, C. and Vilalta, R. (2007). IJCNN Workshop on Meta-learning, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Giraud-Carrier C., Vilalta, R. and Brazdil, P. (2005). ICML Workshop on Meta-learning , Bonn, Germany.
- Giraud-Carrier, C., Lavrac, N. and Moyle, S. (2001). ECML/PKDD Workshop on Integrating Aspects of Data Mining, Decision Support and Meta-Learning, Freiburg, Germany.
- Keller, J. and Giraud-Carrier, C. (2000). ECML-2000 Workshop on Meta-Learning: Building Automatic Advice Strategies for Model Selection and Method Combination, Barcelona, Spain.
- Giraud-Carrier, C. and Pfahringer, B. (1999). ICML Workshop on Recent Advances in Meta-Learning and Future Work . J. Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Giraud-Carrier, C. and Hilario, M. (1998). ECML Workshop on Upgrading Learning to the Meta-Level: Model Selection and Data Transformation, Chemnitz, Germany.
Former PhD Students
- Dr. Matthew Smith, Kalood, USA
- Dr. Jun won Lee, Korean Institute of Science and Technology, Korea
- Dr. Torbjorn Dahl, Lecturer in Software Engineering, University of Plymouth, UK
- Dr. Rafal Bogacz, Associate Professor, University of Oxford, UK
- Dr. Rene MacKinney-Romero, Professor, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Mexico
- Dr. Claire Thie (nee Kennedy), Capability Team Leader, QinetiQ PLC, UK
Former MS Students
- Nathan Davis, Google, USA
- Brian Hawkins, Lingotek, USA
- Burdette Pixton, LDS Church, USA
- Brent Wenerstrom, PhD Student, University of Louisville, USA
- Kristine Daniels, Full-time Mom
- Simon Rawles, PhD, Development Manager at Multicom Products, UK
- Bjorn Gustafson
- Peter Swann, Rolls Royce, UK
- Rachel Harris, PhD, Research Fellow, University of Strathclyde, UK
- Xavier Bouchoux
- Kristjian Krc
- Olivier Torreilles
- Simon Butterworth
- Mark Hansen
- David O'Flanagan
- David Lock
- Adrian Atley